Agriculture & Environmental Services

For weed and pest control, soil conservation and any agricultural or environmental concerns within the Municipality, please submit a form at

Together the Agricultural Service Board, Agricultural Fieldman and other staff make up the Agricultural and Environmental Protection Services Department whose responsibilities include the enforcement and administration of the following statutes: Agricultural Service Board Act, Weed Control Act, Soil Conservation Act, and Agricultural Pests Act.

Links to legislation

Agricultural Services Board Act

Weed Control Act
Weed Control Act Regulations with Prohibited Noxious & Noxious Weed Lists

Soil Conservation Act
Soil Conservation Regulations

Agricultural Pests Act
Agricultural Pests Regulations

Animal Health Act

Animal Health Act

Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA)

Cases in Alberta in 2021

As of December 6th, 2021, 87 cases of EIA have been detected on 15 premises, located in 10 different counties or
municipalities (Athabasca, Big Lakes, Bonnyville, Foothills, Grande Prairie, Lac Ste. Anne, Opportunity, Parkland,
Smoky Lake, and Sturgeon). The Office of the Chief Provincial Veterinarian is electing to notify all owners of horses
registered in Alberta’s PID system by email to increase horse owner awareness. 

Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) Transition to Digital Equine Infectious Anemia Test Certificates

The CFIA will be making the use of digital equine infectious anemia (EIA) test certificates (Coggins) mandatory in Canada as of December 1, 2021. The current paper version of the single horse EIA test certificate (Form CFIA/ACIA 3937), will only be allowed in unique circumstances. The multiple horse test certificate (Form CFIA/ACIA 4679) will not be accepted as of December 1, 2021.  

Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI)

A surge in Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) cases are expected to occur this spring as large numbers of migratory birds carrying the virus are returning to Alberta. Domestic turkeys and chickens appear to be the most susceptible to this virus. The HPAI virus is primarily passed through feces and expresses different degrees of illness. 

Clinical signs in poultry can vary widely and include the following:

  • No signs of disease at all and quick recovery from infection
  • Depression and droopiness and/or loss of appetite
  • Sudden drop in egg production, with many of the eggs soft-shelled
  • Purplish-blue colouring of wattles, and combs, with blisters on the combs
  • Swelling of the skin under the eyes
  • Coughing and sneezing
  • Diarrhea
  • Nervous signs, such as a lack of co-ordination and an inability to stand or walk
  • A few deaths over several days in the flock, followed by a surge in mortality that can reach up to 100% in 48 hours

Focus on biosecurity to prevent infection: 

  • Limit the visitors you choose to allow near your flock
  • Avoid visiting other premises that keep poultry, including poultry shows/sales
  • Have a separate isolation coop at least 30 feet from your main coop. Use this to observe sick birds, and/or to house and monitor new additions or returning birds (after shows) for a minimum of 30 days before introducing them to your flock
  • Have dedicated footwear (and ideally, clothing) for accessing your coop. Do not wear these outside your coop/run and keep them separate from your other footwear
  • Reduce the chances of direct contact between your flock and wild birds (or wild bird feces) by not allowing your birds to free-range
  • Predator-proof your coop/run and have pest-control strategies in place to prevent wild birds and mammals from bringing HPAI into your flock
  • Wash/sanitize hands before and after attending to any poultry

How to report:

What should you do if you suspect your flock may have HPAI?

All suspected or confirmed cases must be report to the Office of the Chief Provincial Veterinarian within 24 hours:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm
Phone: 780-427-3448
After business hours: 1-800-524-0051

Avian influenza is a provincially reportable disease for domestic birds under Alberta's Animal Health Act and requires immediate action to control or eradicate it. Outbreaks in domestic poultry should be reported both federally and provincially. Contact either your flock veterinarian, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency at 403-338-5225, or The Office of the Chief Provincial Veterinarian at 780-427-3448 or 1-800-524-0051.

Letter from Alberta Agriculture and Irrigation Office of the Chief Provincial Veterinarian to Alberta Backyard/Small-Flock Poultry Keepers.

Notice of Weed Control Program

Eradication or control of invasive species, such as prohibited noxious and noxious weeds, is critical to the long-term prosperity of our natural landscape.  As designated by the Alberta Weed Control Act, the Municipality will be conducting vegetation management via an Integrated Vegetation Management Program where one of our control methods is by chemical means. Commencing on May 15 until October 31, Municipal contract sprayers will be conducting herbicide applications (weather permitting). Alternative municipal vegetation management will also be conducted by cultural, mechanical, or biological control methods.

Due diligence with regards to public safety and environmental impact will be followed. Risk is minimal though it is recommended staying off treated sprayed areas for 24 hours following the application time/date which can be found on signs posted at the site.

Identification of these specific weeds can be found online at: Alberta Weed Control Act, Regulations.

Invasive weed species photos and information can also be obtained through Crowsnest Pass Protective Services, Agricultural & Environmental department. Our office is located at the Blairmore Fire Station, 2141 - 127 Street, call for an appointment, 403-562-8658 or 403-562-8600.

Municipal Vegetation Management-Inspections

Municipal Weed Inspectors will be inspecting private properties, acreages and industrial sites for prohibited noxious and noxious weeds. The Municipality asks landowners to remove invasive weeds to prevent further spread.

What you can do:

  • Remove prohibited noxious and noxious weeds from your yard or property (be sure to remove the entire plant and roots if possible, careful not to dislodge possible seeds).
  • Ask for assistance to help identify weed species (Ag & Environmental Department).
  • Let your neighbors know if you find a prohibited noxious or noxious weed on your property as it may have spread.
  • Dispose of the weeds by double bagging the plant and placing it in your regular garbage disposal. DO NOT COMPOST as seeds will spread in new soil.
  • When selecting plants for your yard, check with your Ag & Environmental Department or local greenhouse as they can help with your selection.
  • Volunteer for community weed pulling or native planting events and learn more about vegetation management in the Crowsnest Pass (dates to follow).

Eradication or control of invasive species is critical to the long-term prosperity of our natural landscape.

Our Agricultural and Environmental department is always here to help you with any questions you may have. 

Invasive weed species photos and information can also be obtained through Crowsnest Pass Protective Services, Agricultural & Environmental department, or online at  

Call to set up an appointment.  Our office is located at the Blairmore Fire Station, 2141 - 127 Street, call for an appointment, 403-562-8658 or 403-562-8600.

Early Detection Rapid Response

Spread the Word not the Weed!

Invasive Species - Click image for Fact Sheets

Spread of weeds prohibited 4(1)

Subject to the regulations, a person shall not use or move anything that, if used or moved, might spread a noxious weed or prohibited noxious weed.


Offence and penalty 28

A person who contravenes this Act is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine of not more than $5000 or, in the case of failure to comply with a Minister’s notice, a fine of not more than $1000 for each day the offence continues.

(See Weed Control Act)

Pest Control

Please refer to the Alberta Pest Control Act and Regulations for a list of pest and nuisance animals.

Pest Management Links

Biology & Control of Skunks: Skunk traps are available for rent from the Agricultural Fieldman. $100 deposit (cash or cheque which will be returned once the trap has been returned in the same condition that it was borrowed) and a $10 rental fee.

Control of Porcupine damage
Mice and their control
An Improved Magpie Trap
Grasshopper Management
Protecting Livestock from Predation with Electric Fences


Alberta is 1 of 3 places on earth that is free from established rat populations (others locations being the North and South Pole). Some native animals to the Crowsnest Pass have been mistaken for rats so it is important to know the differences between invasive Norway and Roof rats compared to native Pack rats/Wood rats, or Muskrats. The pictures below will help you to identify each species of invasive or native rats. All Norway or Roof rat sightings MUST be reported to the Agriculture & Environmental Services Department immediately in order to prevent their spread.

Roof Rat, Muskrat, Packrat & Pocket Gopher Comparison Sketches
Norway Rat Sketch

Gophers and Ground Squirrels

The Crowsnest Pass is situated in the foothills and Rocky Mountains of Alberta. This means the Columbian Ground Squirrel and the Northern Pocket Gopher are the main species of ground squirrels and gophers present in the Crowsnest Pass. The Richardson Ground Squirrel lives in the prairies and looks different from the Columbian Ground Squirrel. Much of the literature available on gopher control focuses on Richardson’s Ground Squirrels and not Columbian Ground Squirrels. The same control methods are used to control both species of ground squirrels. Pocket Gophers require another tactic and trap because they live under the ground and only surface at night for air to avoid their predators.

Control of Pocket Gophers and Ground Squirrels
Richardson’s Ground Squirrels

Riparian Restoration at Flumerfelt Park

Riparian Restoration

The Agriculture and Environmental Services Department is hosting weed pulls every Wednesday in the months of June, July and August on various riparian areas throughout the Crowsnest Pass. These areas include Drum Creek, Star Creek, Nex Perce Creek, Crowsnest River and many more! Join us this summer to participate and help us against the ongoing battle of invasive weeds. 

The Agriculture and Environmental Services Department is working hard to restore these areas back to their native plant species and appreciate all the volunteers that come out to help! Check out our Weed Warriors poster for dates, locations and times to find out where and when our weed pulls will take place this year. 

For more information on riparian restoration please visit the links below:

Crowsnest Conservation Society
Alberta Conservation Association
Cows and Fish Alberta Riparian Management Society
Oldman Watershed Council
Government of Alberta Water for Life

Canadian Agricultural Partnership