Press Release – 2020 Official Candidates – Office of Councillor
September 15, 2020
2020 Official Candidates – Office of Councillor
Voters will elect one (1) Councillor in the 2020 Municipal By-Election. Please visit https://www.crowsnestpass.com/municipal-government/municipal-elections/2020-by-election for polling station locations and Institutional Vote details.
Election Day is Monday, October 26, 2020 from 10:00am to 8:00pm.
Advanced Poll is Wednesday, October 21, 2020 from 10:00am to 8:00pm.
Notice of Election Day
At the August 18, 2020 Council meeting, the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass Council passed a motion to hold a by-election on Monday, October 26, 2020.
This by-election is being held in accordance with Section 162 of the Municipal Government Act to fill the vacancy created on February 28, 2020.
Candidates and voters are encouraged to contact the Returning Officer with any Municipal Election questions:
Natalie Dzioba, Returning Officer
Information for Voters
Monday, October 26
10:00am - 8:00pm
Voters will elect One (1) Councillor.
Institutional vote will also take place on October 26 at Crowsnest Pass Health Centre, Tecumseh Apartments, Westwind Apartments, and York Creek Lodge.
- Subdivision A: All electors from Coleman at 90th street west to the west municipal boundary on both the north and south of highway 3. Voting Station: Crowsnest Sports Complex, Curling Club Lounge (main floor) 8702-22nd Avenue Coleman
- Subdivision B: All electors from Blairmore and Frank -90th Street east to 153rd Street- North and South of Highway #3. Voting Station: Elks Hall, 2025-129 Street, Blairmore
- Subdivision C: All electors from Bellevue and Hillcrest – 5th Avenue east to the Municipal boundary. Voting Station: MDM Community Centre (gymnasium), 2802-222 Street, Bellevue
Wednesday, October 21
10:00am - 8:00pm
2025 - 129 Street, Blairmore
Canadian residents who have lived in Alberta for 6 months prior to the election and are primary residents of the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass on Election Day are eligible to vote.
Voters will be asked to show government issued identification at the polling station that shows the elector’s photograph, current address and name. If you are unable to produce government issued ID you must produce two pieces of ID from the Voter ID Requirements listed below.
At the September 2, 2020 Municipality of Crowsnest Pass council meeting, a resolution was passed allowing for voting by special ballot in the October 26, 2020 by-election.
HOW to vote by special ballot
To vote by special ballot, electors must apply to receive a special ballot package.
WHO can apply for a special ballot package
An elector may apply for a special ballot package if they are unable to vote at the advance vote (October 21, 2020) or at the voting station on Election Day (October 26, 2020) because of:
- Physical incapacity, (this includes an elector displaying symptoms of COVID-19 or other illness, those in quarantine, immunocompromised individuals, or anyone wishing to abstain from in-person voting due to COVID-19);
- Absence from the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass;or
- Being a returning officer, deputy returning officer, constable, candidate, official agent or scrutineer located at a voting station other than the one designated for their place of residence.
HOW to apply for a special ballot package.
To request a special ballot package:
- Phone the Municipal Office at 403-562-8833.
- Email the Returning Officer at Natalie.Dzioba@crowsnestpass.com.
- Visit the Municipal Office between 8:30am and 4:30pm on regular business days.
Applications for special ballot packages are accepted until noon on Election Day.
Electors can request the special ballot package be mailed or arrange for pick-up.
The special ballot package includes instructions, a ballot and special ballot envelope, a special ballot certificate envelope with form, and a return envelope.
WHEN will special ballot packages be ready?
Special ballot packages will be ready at noon on September 16, 2020. Ballots for the packages will be printed once we know the names of the candidates, and candidates have until noon on September 15th to withdraw their nomination.
Deadline to return the special ballot package
- Special ballot packages must be returned by mail or in person to the returning officer, before noon on Election Day (October 26, 2020).
- Special ballot packages received after noon on Election Day will not be accepted.