Registration of Candidates
Effective January 1, 2014 under section 147.21(1) of the Local Authorities Election Act - "No candidate may accept campaign contributions, including funds of the candidate, unless the candidate is registered under this Act with the Municipality in which the candidate intends to run."
Under section 147.21(6) - "This section does not apply to a candidate if the candidate's entire election campaign is funded exclusively out of the candidates own funds up to a maximum of $10,000."
Please make arrangements to come in and fill out the Registration of Notice of Intent to become a Candidate for Municipal Office prior to accepting any donations with Kristin Ivey, Manager of Corporate Services at 403-562-8833.
Form 3 - Nomination Paper and Candidates Acceptance (fillable form) - To be completed for Nomination Day - September 18, 2017.
- Best practice for candidates is to mount election signage following Nomination Day (September 18) and to have them removed within 3 days of the election (by October 19)
- Development permits are not required for election signage
- Under Bylaw 868, 2013 Election signage must be taken down within 7 days following the election and Alberta Transportation requires signs to be removed after 3 days.
- Signs located on highway right-of-ways must not exceed 1.5 square meters and must be placed no closer than 2 meters from the edge of the pavement. Do not place signs on a median, on highway signs or posts or within 500 meters of construction zones.
- Do not place signs so that they obstruct a motorist's view of an intersection.
- Signs that pose an immediate threat to the public will be removed immediately by Alberta Transportation Highway maintenance contractors without notification.
A person may be nominated in any election under the Local Authorities Election Act if the person:
- Is eligible to vote in the election
- Has resided in the Municipality for 6 consecutive months immediately preceding nomination day; and
- Is not otherwise ineligible
A person is ineligible to be nominated as a candidate in any election under the Local Authorities Election Act (LAEA) if:
- The person is the auditor of the local jurisdiction
- The person is an employee of the local jurisdiction for which the election is to be held unless the person has taken a leave of absence;
- the person is indebted to the municipality for taxes in default exceeding $50 (excluding indebtedness on current taxes, and indebtedness for arrears of taxes for which the person has entered into a consolidation agreement with the municipality)
- The person is indebted to the local jurisdiction for any debt exceeding $500 and is in default for more than 90 days;
- The person has, within the previous 10 years, been convicted of an offense under the LAEA, the Election Act or the Canada Elections Act.
2017 Election Key Dates
- Mon, Sept 18, 2017 10am-noon - Nomination Day
- Wed, Oct 11, 2017 - Advanced Poll
- Mon, Oct 16, 2017 - Election Day and Institutional vote at Crowsnest Pass Health Centre, Techumseh Apartments, Westwinds Apartments and York Creek Lodge.
Voters will elect:
- One (1) Mayor
- Six (6) Councillors
Voting Schedule of Events
Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10am-8pm at Blairmore Elks Hall 2025 - 129 Street, Blairmore
- Crowsnest Pass Health Centre: October 16th, 2017 - Times to be determined
- Westwinds Apartments: October 16th, 2017 - 4:00pm-6:00pm
- York Creek Lodge: October 16, 2017 - 10:00am-1:00pm
- Tecumseh Apartments: October 16, 2017 - 2:00pm-4:00pm
Election Day 2017
Monday October 16, 2017 10:00am-8:00pm
- Subdivision A: All electors from Coleman at 90th street west to the west municipal boundary on both the north and south of highway 3. Voting Station: Crowsnest Pass Sports Complex, Banquet Facility 2nd floor (elevator Access) 8702-22nd Avenue Coleman
- Subdivision B: All electors from Blairmore and Frank -90th Street east to 153rd Street- North and South of Highway #3. Voting Station: Elks Hall, 2025-129 Street Blairmore
- Subdivision C: All electors from Bellevue and Hillcrest – 5th Avenue east to the Municipal boundary. Voting Station: MDM Community Centre (gymnasium), 2802- 222 Street Bellevue.
- Canadian residents who have lived in Alberta for 6 months prior to the election and are primary residents of the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass on Election Day are eligible to vote.
- Voters will be asked to show government issued identification at the polling station that shows the elector's photograph, current address and name. If you are unable to produce government issued ID you must produce two pieces of ID from the following list: Authorized Identification
Resources for Women Candidates
2013 Municipal Election Results
|Decoux, Bruce Vernon||467|
|Juhlin, Timothy Arthur||911|
|Saindon, Emile Joseph||483|