Business Licence Renewal for 2014

January 6, 2014- The Municipality has sent out Business License renewals for 2014. The notices include the name of the business, location, amount payable, terms and conditions and due date. When you come into the office to pay for your license, you may be asked to verify some of your business information, including: business name, nature of your business, location and contact information.

For businesses engaged in a certified trade (plumbers, electrician and gas work etc.) the Municipality requires the Trade Certificate number of at least one current employee of a company engaged in a certified trade. The certificate number must be for a person in a senior or supervisory capacity in the company. All businesses the Municipality believes may be engaged in a certified trade (plumbing, electrical, gas etc.) will be provided a notification letter along with the Business License renewal notice. This letter will advise these business of this new requirement.

Requiring the certificate number of tradespeople is a common practice of Municipalities and it helps to ensure that trades work is being completed by certified tradespeople. It’s important to note, that the Municipality’s issuance of a Business License to any company, including trades companies, is not an endorsement of the quality of any work performed by that company, it’s simply an indication that the company complies with the Land Use Bylaw & Business License Bylaw.

If you require further information you may contact:

Ken Bourdeau, Development Officer


Business Licences


Pursuant to Business License Bylaw 842, 2012 , “No person shall engage in or operate within or partly within the Municipality any business described within this bylaw or any non-resident business unless that person holds a business license authorizing the engagement in or operation of that business and having paid to the municipality the fee as per the Fees and Charges Bylaw #855, 2012."

Business shall mean any trade, profession, occupation, industry, employment or calling carried on for the purpose of profit or gain and invoicing for goods and services; and any activity providing goods and/or services whether or not for profit and however organized or formed, including a co-operative or association of persons. Business Licence Application Form

A licensee shall apply to the Licensing Inspector for an amendment to the license if there is a change in:
(a) The Business Premises;
(b) The owner of the Business;
(c) The contact information of the Business;
(d) The Business name;
(e) The type of Business carried on;

A Development Permit may be required prior to receiving a business license license or to approve a change in the type of business being carried on.  Please contact the municipal office (403) 562-8833 with all business license inquiries.


• Charitable or Non-Profit Organizations
• A business that is carried on or operated by the Government of Alberta, Canada, or the Municipality
• Foster Homes as interpreted and administered under the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act of Alberta
• Day Home Care for Children
• Home Catalogue Representatives
• The operator of a stall within a Farmer’s Market
• Any proprietor that is exempt under Provincial or Federal legislation
• Auctioneers (some exceptions apply – see bylaw)
• Craft Sales and Garage Sales that are held at any location a maximum four (4) times per year for a maximum of two (2) consecutive days

Alberta Southwest Regional Business License

Resident businesses holding a valid business license with the Municipality may purchase a regional business license at  Alberta Southwest Regional Business License. The purchase of a Regional Business Licence does not preclude the Business’s obligation to purchase a local business license in each Member Municipality in which it has a storefront or physical presence.


The fees for a business license is as follows:
• Resident business (including home occupations): $100.00 per year
• Non-resident person: $360.00 per year
• Resident Day Rate: $50.00
• Non-resident Day Rate: $100.00
• Resident Hawkers/Peddlers/Mobile Vendors: $125 per year
• Non-Resident Hawkers/Peddlers/Mobile Vendors: $375 per year
• Regional Business Alliance - $80.00 per year
• Home Occupation Development Permit Fee: $200
The Business license year is January to December. Fees are pro-rated after October 1st at 50% of the regular annual fee.


Alberta Government Services, 780-310-0000
Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council, 1-877-979-8100
Alberta Health Services, 403-562-5030
Alberta Gaming & Liquor Commission, 1-800-272-8876
Alberta Southwest Regional Alliance, 403-627-3373
CNP Chamber of Commerce, 1-888-562-7108

Development and Business Licence Applications

In Alberta, the Land Use Bylaws (LUB) are divided into permitted uses and discretionary uses. A permitted use is one that is allowed ‘as-of-right’ which means if a person who submits the required application, payment and drawings, has a right to their permit and/or business license. The Province does not require that the Municipality notify neighbours of the application or construction activity. A Discretionary Use is one that may be allowed, provided the applicant has obtained approval from the Municipal Planning Commission (MPC). The Province requires that the Municipality notify adjacent property owners of ‘discretionary use’ application at least 7 days prior to the date of the MPC meeting.

All Development Permit applications approved by the Development Officer and Municipal Planning Commission are appealable to the municipality’s Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) within 14 days of the decision. All discretionary use applications that are approved are advertised in local media.

Business License applications are not appealable to the SDAB because the business owner has a right to their license, provided they are in compliance with the relevant portions of the Land Use Bylaw and Business License Bylaw.

Anyone who has questions regarding, any planning, development or business license related issue in the Municipality may contact Ken Bourdeau, Development Officer at 403-563-2218 or by email at: